Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Roommate Free....sorta

Well its finally happened.  The hubs and I are officially the only ones who live in our house.  It's a little weird to be honest.  Well, and it hasn't totally happened.  The roomie moved 90% of her stuff out on Friday, but is coming back today for the last 10% and to clean the basement before leaving her key. 
I'm about to go off on a "yay she's gone" moment but I want to preface it with this: she and I have been friends for years, and I love her dearly.  It is just time for us to not have anyone else in our house and I'm really excited to come into this phase.
So what's so great about not having a roommate?  Well let me just tell you. 
~We get to use all the cabinet space in our kitchen.  First thing I did on Friday when I got home from work was re-organize the kitchen cabinets and space out our food.  (No pics but I'll get one soon, I need to finish cleaning up the rest of the kitchen too).  Part of the 10% she hasn't taken yet is her food from the cabinets/fridge/freezer so hopefully I'll get to finish the re-org soon.
~We can use our basement, which is about 20 degrees cooler than the rest of the house during the summer.  WINNING.  The plan is to move one of the upstairs couches down there this week and get another TV down there too so we can not sweat to death before my cheap butt turns on the AC.
~It's not awkward to use the additional full freezer and fridge in the garage for our food.  It was always a bit weird walking through her space to get to the garage, so we didn't really do it (unless we had to do laundry, and you'd be amazed at how long we can go w out doing laundry....).  BUT NOW WE CAN.  As a result we went on a Sam's Club shopping spree yesterday and stocked up on a bunch of things.
~We can park in our driveway, no more parking on the street all the time and having to walk down our super steep driveway to get into the house!
~We can start the process of trying to leave our dog out for short spurts of time while we're gone.  He has a mild severe overwhelming case of separation anxiety and freaks out if he's left out while we're gone.  Now he can freak out and it won't bother anyone.
~We can clean out the back bedroom that has become the dumping ground for everything I don't want to deal with and have it nicely organized in the storage room (formerly the roomies closet).
~Garage sale this year! For the first time since I moved into the house (5 yrs ago) I will finally know what we have and where it is.  I will also know what I don't want to keep and we can get rid of it.  Currently our garage is a jam packed mess.  (Pics to follow) and we want to get it cleaned out so we can actually put both cars in it, especially since we had our first hail storm last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment