Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Here's why today is awesome

Super excited for today to be here for several reasons:
1) I don't have to work at the part time job tonight, WOO.
2) Its wine night Wednesday with the girls and I'm super excited to see them!  Since this week feels a little crazy I'm not making a full dinner for all of us, we are doing dessert and wine at our house.  I found a delicious recipe for peanut butter bars and I'm really hoping they turn out well!
3) I get to do another day of C25K tonight after work!  I have been taking it easy after this weekends yard work overload, my right leg is not going to like me tonight but I think it will be good for it!
4) I'm making a new recipe for dinner. I found something that is a little bit outside Spencer's comfort zone but he's willing to try it.  I doubt he eats the pepper but whatever, I'm excited to make something a little different (for us at least).
5) I finally got up on time for work and got here when I planned to!

Here are tonight's recipes in case you care!
PB Bars:Ingredients
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup peanut butter
Topping:
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I'm using dark bc I like it better....)
4 tablespoons peanut butter
Directions
In a medium bowl, mix together the butter or margarine, graham cracker crumbs, confectioners' sugar, and 1 cup peanut butter until well blended. Press evenly into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch pan.  (place in freezer or fridge to cool while making topping per the reviews)
In a metal bowl over simmering water, or in the microwave, melt the chocolate chips with the peanut butter, stirring occasionally until smooth. Spread over the prepared crust. Refrigerate for at least one hour before cutting into squares.
Peppers:Ingredients
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice (I'll be using instant rice as that's all I have and the reviews said it works fine, I'll also just make the rice while the meat is browning)
4 green bell peppers
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Place the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 20 minutes. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the beef until evenly browned.
Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the bell peppers. Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward. (Slice the bottoms of the peppers if necessary so that they will stand upright.)
In a bowl, mix the browned beef, cooked rice, 1 can tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper. Mix the remaining tomato sauce and Italian seasoning in a bowl, and pour over the stuffed peppers.
Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, basting* with sauce every 15 minutes, until the peppers are tender.
*One of the reviews I saw said to cover the peppers while baking and then you don't have to worry about basting, I think I'll use this method as frankly I'm a busy lady and have dessert to make as well! I have an onion I need to use and so I'll probably use fresh onion and garlic that I'll cook w the ground beef to soften.
**the recipe calls for 6 peppers, but the reviews said that this doesn't make a lot of sauce/filling so I'm using 4 so I can really get em stuffed.

No comments:

Post a Comment