Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What I wish people knew....

About insurance:

~It doesnt matter how long you've been with the company, if your policy says its not covered, its not covered.
~I cannot just take your word for it that something cost you a grand and then pay you a grand, thats not how this works.
~Insurance covers certain things but not all things.  If insurance covered every possible thing in every possible situation your premiums would be so high no one could afford insurance. 
~Insurance is not a savings account. We will pay your loss the same way if you have been an insured for 10 days or 10 years. 
~I want to pay your claim, you yell less when I do.
~I do not enjoy denying claims, it's probably the worst part of my day when it happens.
~It's a good idea to pay for replacement cost on your contents coverage (home owners) seriously, it is. 
~Policies are kinda boring, and yet its not the worst idea to review them every now and again so you know what you are paying for.
~Once a year or so its a good idea to sit down with your agent and make sure you have coverage for your stuff.  This avoids nasty surprises if something happens and you find out that your limits don't cover what you had.
~Most policies have "special limits" on things like money furs, guns, jewelry etc, know what yours are and if you have more than what those limits will cover, call your agent, they can get you addl coverage.
~I want to believe you when we talk, don't lie to me and make it hard.
~When you lie to your claim adjuster, we know, we usually just cant' prove it.
~Insurance can be confusing.  Most people do not have to deal with it on a regular basis.  Ask questions if you have them.  If you understand why something is happening it usually makes the process easier to get through. 
~Your claim adjuster knows that they may be seeing you at your worst, and that excuses some bad behavior, but dont push it please.
Always remember, that the person you talk to on the phone is in fact a person.  I treat you with respect and courtesy about your claim, its nice when you can do the same thing for me.

2 comments:

  1. I'll comment! I agree with you and feel the same way. It is confusing and boring and I get that but people need to take some responsibility and not always blame the company for their own mistakes. I've been there too, people. I lost my wedding rings and didn't have an extra rider. My fault, not the insurance company. IT IS NOT A SAVINGS ACCOUNT. Valuable info for anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tips! I am very thankful for my insurance this month....nasty flood:(

    ReplyDelete