Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Florida Day 1: The Flight, the Van, the Directions

We took off from KCI at about 5:30pm, had a fun layover in Atlanta and finally landed in Orlando at about midnight.  We went to go pick up our rental car so we could drive to my friend J's apt and hopefully crash asap, we were beat.  Of course we had a line at the rental car counter, and then we found out that due to some "perfect storm" type circumstances they were actually out of cars.  Yup, out of cars.  Keep in mind this is after the counter attendant and I have chatted and he's swiped my credit card and I'm feeling bad that we didn't invite him to our wedding a few years ago.  I tilted my head and said something witty smart sleep deprived like "say what?"  He explained that the only vehicles they had left were a bit.....larger.  He then hurried to add that to compensate for the inconvenience that they would be discounting the rental by 50% and we wouldn't need to pay for gas.  Spence and I shrugged and said OK, we went down to the parking garage to pick up our "larger" vehicle.  You may be thinking, yay an SUV or even eh a mini van.....oh no there was nothing "mini" about this van. 
Yes friends that would be a 15 passenger van.

We shrugged again and said something along the lines of "we're in an excellent (if not exhausted) mood, we're on vacation, its cheap and we don't have to gas it up, lets roll."

Now by this point its about 1am.  My friend J had given me her address to get to her apt.  She also gave me some great landmarks, we'd pass a McDonalds, and a strip mall with a Publix and would go through the parking lot before we saw the complex.  So armed with my modern technology, an address and an (I thought) working GPS we set out.  Turns out the GPS lied to us, took us to a totally wrong part of the Orlando suburbs.  Totally wrong, but with all the same landmarks.  We were lost in the middle of the night, in a strange city driving the largest vehicle either of us had ever driven.  We couldn't do anything but laugh. 

By 2am we had made our way to the correct apt complex, hugged J and were starting the long loved girl tradition of catch up talk.  I think Spence passed out on the floor at some point but by 3am we were all tucked in safe and sound in bed.  Sleep has never felt quite so good. 

Day 2 coming soon (with more pictures, day 2 had a lot more pictures)

1 comment:

  1. I seriously laughed out loud until tears came rolling down my face! I could picture the excitement of getting a good deal on a rental, but then the reality setting in that you'll be driving a 15 passenger van with only 2 passengers in it! Oh, I needed that laugh!

    ReplyDelete