Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

All those little inside things

I am one of those lucky people who have been blessed with long lasting friendships.  Through 23 years of ups, downs, and lateral moves my friends and I have come through it all.  You add in my college friends and the friends I've made as the years have gone by and there are a LOT of inside jokes, memories and one liners.  For example, if I walked up to you right now and said "hi noodle" or "squirrel" or "rooooosssttteeerrrr" you'd probably give me the side eye and back away slowly.  My high school friends would collapse in laughter and we'd reminisce about high school tennis, gym class or something else that was triggered by those words and phrases. 

One of the things I was looking forward to the most about our trip to FL was getting to spend some time with one of my best friends from high school, J.  (check our her amazing fashion blog here: http://www.jseverydayfashion.com/) After high school graduation we went to different schools, and then she trekked off for the east coast not long after college graduation.  On visits home there are a lot of people she tries to see so we haven't had a good long catch up time in FOREVER.  It amazes me how incredibly different we both are from the naive slightly immature younger versions of ourselves and yet despite those changes (or more likely because of them) we have remained friends over the distance and time. 

Spence and I have our own inside jokes and language too.  Just like any relationship where you spend a lot of time together its bound to happen.  We call our phones "motos" despite the fact neither of us has had a Motorola phone in years.  We can have almost entire conversations in 10 words or less and both know whats going on.  And on Saturday night we added a new friend to our house, yup its a frog.  I'm pretty sure its part of one of those sets of see no evil hear no evil speak no evil.  And I'm also pretty sure its supposed to go in a garden. 

The frog came home with us on Saturday night after we had been a local bar for several hours watching KU win the Big 12 tournament with some of our friends.  There were several beers had and at some point Spence thought it would be funny to see how far he could scoot me.  He "scooted" me right off the seat and onto the bar floor.  I thought it was funny too.  (I really actually thought it was kind of funny, but I had to give him a hard time about it).  After we left the bar we stopped at the grocery store to get dinner for the next day and I decided to razz him a little bit about shoving me around in public.  He saw this little statue sitting in the flower section and decided he had a good motto.  No more talking.  He was just a little tipsy and thought this was hilarious.  So now the frog lives with us.  And I laugh every single time I see it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment