Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Long Day

Well yesterday was the day that would not end, not in a bad way I just feel like I was up for a long time! I'm currently in training at work for my new job, and all new classes have to do a community service project during training. Since it's summer and everyone and their mom apparently does community service during the summer weekends (who knew?) we did ours during the work week!

 
We left Olathe at 3pm and drove out to Harvesters (www.harvesters.org), a food bank that serves 26 counties around the KC metro area and feeds over 66,000 people weekly. We worked there from 4-8pm, sorting food and other products and then took a tour of the facility and watched a video about some of the programs they have for kids in the area. My group sorted proteins, anything from meat in a can (I had no idea so many different kinds of meats came canned until yesterday), beans, to ravioli and spaghetti O's It was really amazing to see the amount of food and the space that they have there. Over 200,000 square feet of space and 40k of that is a huge freezer/fridge area. We left there at about 8pm, a little tired and sore but all glad that we had helped give back to the community. The Dole boxes you see in the photos are the boxes we filled with the sorted food, the large blue bins are what the other volunteers fill with the donated food and then we sorted down into more specific categories.



I got home to find my dad hard at work on the floors! *happy dance* He got the part of the dining room done that we needed help with and an additional few rows done as well. You may or may remember a previous post where I mentioned that my dear little dog George does not like my dad at all....so George was stuck in his kennel while Tom was working. So when my dad left at 10:30 we stayed up for a while to get George out and let him run around and stretch his little puppy legs. I was a tired kiddo this morning let me tell you! On a positive note though we are at a place we can continue to work on the floors this week. I'd really like to have the dining room done by the weekend.






No comments:

Post a Comment