Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

date night

Well last night we went and had a date night at the movies.  We saw Toy Story 3 and it was super cute!  We saw it in IMAX 3-D, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well behaved all the kids in the theatre were!  I am usually the movie snob who wants to go see movies in the Cinema Suites at AMC because there are no kids allowed in the theatre....I know I know I wonder why my in-laws think I hate kids.  Spencer takes off tomorrow morning for his best friends bachelor party.  They will have a fun filled weekend of golf, beer, golf and more beer.  As long as they all come back alive I will consider it a win.  While he is away I will be working on the house (shocker I know).  We currently have a (very) ugly bench on our front porch that I plan to revamp and also a chair that needs to be stained/sealed on the front porch.  I'm also hoping that my dad can come over and help me finish up the floors.  I would REEEAAALLLYYYY be excited about that. 
I took a little quiz on-line about my design style, I think it came out pretty accurate, I think I may be a little more Rustic Revival than traditional country but.....here are the results!
Sproost says my interior design style is:

50% Traditional Country
50% Rustic Revival


Traditional Country

Even if your backyard isn't acres of farmland and you don't actually have a chicken coop, your house sure brings you back to a time when that was the case. You love spaces that feel casual and lived in. Furniture is practical and comfortable, and yet at the same time its very stylish. The best part of country style is how much it highlights collection and found objects. Antiques here, garage sale finds there and Aunt Milly's hand-me-downs throughout. Unique items that used to serve very practical purposes are now on display, and their history seems to permeate the home. Each space in the home seems to invite friends and family to come in and stay a while. There is a true sense of home felt throughout.
For color, spaces can go either bright and airy or soft and muted. Think of the countryside in spring and summer with yellows, bright greens and blues. Or you can go for more of a fall country day, and go a bit darker but still stay in the earth tones. Dark browns, reds and greens. Either direction you go in, be it light or dark, the key is warmth. Traditional country rooms rarely, if ever, feel cold.

Rustic Revival
You can take kid out of the country but you can't take the country out of the kid... or is your theme "you can take the kid out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the kid?" Either way you play it, you are one of the unique individuals who loves a mix of modern and country. The clean lines of the modern softened by rustic /vintage elements is the perfect mix in your mind. And can we blame you? You've taken the best aspects of two popular designs and mixed them in a manner that appeals young and old alike. A subtle background of white or light colors provides a nice canvas for all the wonderful flea market, eBay or garage sale finds as well as the classic modern pieces that you love.

When it comes to color, think light, casual and airy. White, pale gray or beige, khaki and sage; all of these colors make nice, subtle backdrops for Urban Country style. Think of the colors of natural linen, concrete, and if you'd like to go dark, use the dark brownish-black of iron or the deep burnt orange of rust. The key is to keep the spaces feeling open (go modern!) and yet warm (yay for rustic!), and by going light on the walls and major pieces and more color on the accents and accessories you can achieve this mix really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment