Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Nostalgia

I saw a post on Facebook today from my Alma mater that Interterm started up on the 4th.  For those of you who may not know what interterm is (and unless you went to good 'ol BU you probably don't) its when the students come back for the month of January to take one class until the semester starts (I've also heard this called J-Term).  Its required 3 of the 4 years to graduate at Baker.  Now those of you I'm explaining this to are probably like "ugh that sounds awful! What about winter break?!?" But just wait, it gets better.  The classes aren't your typical math/science/English courses, oh no sirree.  They are designed to be fun, low key classes. 

One year I took a class that taught me how to play chess, another year I volunteered with Habitat for Humanity, and my freshmen year I took a class where we read the (very thin) book "Who Moved My Cheese" and talked about what we wanted to be when we were real live grown ups. 
Students also have the option to take travel interterms, surfing is a popular one, as are some trips to Europe.  You can also do an internship or something else that is productive if you feel so inclined.  And I guess I should mention there are some that actually counted toward like history or English requirements, I just never took those!  I remember one that a history prof did that the students built a plow using only tools that would have been available in the pre middle ages, one that taught how to sew your own clothes, Irish dancing etc.

Some of my favorite times at Baker happened during Interterm.  Partially because the classes were easy and fun, (and short), and partially because it was so great to be back from home after a good solid week or so of seeing family and get to just chill for a little while before the spring semester starts back in full force.  Its a month of hanging out with your friends, parties, relaxation and everything that college "should" be according the any TV show you've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment