Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Day 04 → Something you need to forgive someone else for

My dad and I have always had a rocky relationship.  By rocky I mean pretty well non existent for a good portion of my life.  Its caused me some pretty hefty breakdowns over the years, when I was younger I always felt like if I was better that he would have wanted to be around me more.  I remember when I was about 13 I asked him what I’d done as a kid to make him not want to be around me.  His response was that it was just too hard to see me cry when I went back to my mom after a weekend visit, and so he started finding reasons to avoid taking me.  Ouch right?    
As an adult I’ve been working on trying to forgive him for not being around when I was younger, and for not being strong enough to put my needs, as his child, above his discomfort.  We do talk more now that I’m an adult than we did when I was growing up.  I hope that we continue to get closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment