Pages

Friday, April 14, 2017

Getting Ready, and Getting Away

So the prep for the frozen transfer is quite a bit different than the prep for the egg retrieval.  There are still shots, still pills and all that but the drugs don't have quite the same impact on the body (meaning I can stay awake past 7pm).  Mainly at this point I'm taking a lot of estrogen and a lot of progesterone to make my uterus a happy healthy place for the embaby to implant itself.  I started on Lupron for a few weeks, then added in estrogen patches, then an estrogen pill.  I've started the progesterone shots as of this week, those are *super* fun.  The shots themselves don't hurt much, but the next day I can tell you EXACTLY where the shot was and it is soresoresore.  In the next few days we add in another pill I'm taking 4x a day, then a zpack, and then we get to the transfer.  Then if the transfer works I'll stay on most of those pills/PIO shots for the first trimester.

It was great to get away from home for a few days and go down to the lake with my family and spend time with them hiking, paddle boating, swimming and just hanging out after dinner playing skip bo and drinking some wine.  I was still working so it wasn't a total break, but its amazing what a change in scenery can do for your mental well being.  This year was a little bit sad though, my Papa (my moms dad) has been on the decline for the last few years.  Slowly going from the Papa I remember from growing up, always on the move, with a quip ("I always get the last words, 'Yes Dear'"), playing the piano and singing, always up for a hike or a round of golf to a man who is really only ok if my Nana is around to ground him.  He is still happy to be around, but really isn't present like he always has been.  I keep thinking that if this transfer works and we get pregnant that my Papa won't really remember my son/daughter, or that he may never get to meet him/her.  It was the same thing I thought when my dad was diagnosed with cancer, that even if we got pregnant that day that with the average survival rate of 8mos that he likely wouldn't meet him/her, (I was right too, my dad made it just barely over 8 months from when he was diagnosed before passing away, there was no way he could have met my kid).  For the first time everyone seemed to be intent on getting a full family picture, thanks to the selfie stick we have one!


Now its back home and just trying to stay calm until we transfer.  If I'm this jumpy before the transfer I can't imagine how I'm going to handle the wait until we find out if it actually worked.  I see some closet cleaning and house purging in my future to keep me occupied!  The good news is that my clinic will test 8 days after the transfer so it's not a full 2 week wait like some have to get through!

No comments:

Post a Comment