Pages

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Frozen Embryo Transfer Prep

We did the egg retrieval in January.  We had a trip to LA planned for the end of February to visit our friend Kyle (the same one we cruised with around Christmas a few years ago and the friend who performed our wedding) and then mid March we had a trip planned to Florida with my high school friends (the Cool Kids Crew lol).  We decided that we wanted to have (hopefully just these last) trips where we could have some drinks and relax with our friends so we decided to push the embryo transfer to April/May.  I'm being vague about the date because Spence and I decided that we aren't going to tell people the exact date of the transfer.  It'll be nice/weird to have part of this process just be ours. 
There are 2 different types of FET's, a natural and a medicated cycle.  The natural FET is basically where they monitor your cycle and do the implantation right after you ovulate, there are no shots and minor medications etc.  The medicated cycle (which is what we're doing) is basically where you decide what day you want to transfer, and then the clinic builds you a schedule of medications and timing for it all to happen on that date.  I'll be on birth control, Lupron shots, shots of progesterone in oil (PIO), baby aspirin, estrogen patches, estradiol pills, and  the process can take 6-8 weeks.  The PIO shot is the only medication I'm scared of lol.  Those have to be given intramuscular (IM), its a big ass needle and its a shot I can't do myself. 
My family goes to Big Cedar Lodge on Table Rock Lake every spring for a week vacation.  This year Spence can only come for a few days, and I start the PIO shots while we're at the lake.  My aunt has some experience with shots so I asked her to give me the PIO shots for the mornings we're at the lake.  If anyone reading this (I'm pretty sure no one is reading this) has done a FET or is in the process you can probably figure out the timing of our transfer.  Luckily, for secret keeping purposes, no one in my family is really familiar with the process and timing of this so they won't be able to figure it out lol.

So we're in the process of getting ready for this transfer.  It's crazy to me that all the time an ALL the money we've put into this process comes down to the next (however many) weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment